In fluid mechanics, a wake is the region of disturbed flow caused by the passage of an object through a fluid. As the object (e.g. a boat or an airplane) moves through the fluid, it disturbs the flow pattern around it. This disturbance manifests itself as a wake. The wake is characterized by a decrease in fluid velocity and an increase in fluid turbulence behind the object.

There are two types of wake typically considered in fluid mechanics: the thick wake and the thin wake. The thick wake is a region of significant fluid disturbance and decreased fluid velocity. The thin wake is a region of less fluid disturbance and only a slight decrease in fluid velocity.

The size of the wake is determined by the speed of the object and the properties of the fluid. For example, an object moving through a viscous fluid (e.g. molasses) will create a larger wake than an object moving through a less viscous fluid (e.g. water).

The wake of an object can have a significant impact on the performance of the object. For example, the wake of an airplane can cause the airplane to lose lift and stall. Therefore, it is important to understand the nature of wakes when designing and operating objects in fluid environments.

Other related questions:

Q: What is wake in fluid flow?

A: Wake is a region of turbulence or unsteady flow that forms behind an object as it moves through a fluid.

Q: What is wake in boundary layer?

A: The wake is the region of turbulent flow behind an obstacle in a fluid, such as water or air.

Q: How wakes are formed?

A: Wakes are formed when a moving object disturbs the surrounding fluid, creating a region of turbulent flow in its wake. The wake is the region behind the moving object where the fluid flow is disturbed. The wake is often characterized by a turbulent wake, which is a region of chaotic, swirling fluid motion.


  • Was this Helpful ?
  • YesNo

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *