Brazil is one of the world’s leading producers of renewable energy, with a total installed capacity of nearly 122 gigawatts (GW) in 2018. The vast majority of this came from hydroelectric dams, which accounted for 91 GW, or about 75% of the total. Brazil also has significant potential for other renewable energy sources, such as solar, wind, and biomass. However, these technologies currently account for a relatively small share of the country’s total energy mix.

In 2018, renewable energy sources accounted for about 39% of Brazil’s total primary energy supply. The majority of the remainder came from fossil fuels, with oil accounting for the largest share (30%), followed by natural gas (20%), coal (8%), and nuclear (2%).

Brazil has been successful in reducing its dependence on fossil fuels in recent years. Between 2000 and 2018, the share of renewable energy in the country’s primary energy mix increased from 27% to 39%. The share of oil dropped from 38% to 30% over the same period, while the share of natural gas remained relatively stable.

The Brazilian government has set ambitious targets for increasing the share of renewable energy in the country’s energy mix. The National Energy Plan, published in 2007, set a goal of increasing the share of renewable energy to 45% by 2030. This target was reaffirmed in the government’s updated National Energy Plan, released in 2016.

Despite these ambitious targets, Brazil’s reliance on renewable energy has been declining in recent years. In 2016, renewables accounted for 43% of the country’s primary energy mix, down from 45% in 2015. The drop was due largely to a decrease in hydroelectric generation, as a result of drought conditions.

The Brazilian government has taken steps to encourage the development of renewable energy sources other than hydroelectricity. In 2009, it created the Incentive Program for Alternative Energy Sources (Proinfa), which provides subsidies for the development of wind, solar, biomass, and small hydro projects.

As of 2018, the Proinfa program had resulted in the installation of nearly 12 GW of renewable energy capacity, the vast majority of which came from wind farms.

The Brazilian government has also set targets for the installation of new renewable energy capacity. The National Energy Plan calls for the installation of at least 20 GW of new renewable capacity by 2030.

Despite these targets, the pace of renewable energy development in Brazil has been slow in recent years. In 2018, only 1.4 GW of new renewable capacity was installed, down from 2.3 GW in 2017.

The slow pace of renewable energy development is due in part to the country’s economic slowdown, which has reduced investment in the sector. In addition, the Brazilian government has been slow to implement the policies and regulations needed to support the growth of renewable energy.

Despite these challenges, Brazil’s renewable energy sector continues to grow, and the country is well-positioned

Other related questions:

Q: What percentage of resources being used are nonrenewable in Brazil?

A: In Brazil, it is estimated that about 12 percent of the country’s total energy consumption comes from renewable resources. This includes hydropower, solar, wind, and biomass. Non-renewable resources, such as oil, natural gas, and coal, make up the remaining 88 percent.

Q: What percent of Brazil’s energy is renewable?

A: According to the most recent data from the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), Brazil had an estimated renewable energy share of 38.2% in 2016. This includes hydropower, biomass, solar, wind, and geothermal.

Q: What type of energy does Brazil use?

A: Brazil uses a variety of energy sources, including hydroelectric, nuclear, and renewable energy sources.

Q: What is Brazil #1 energy source?

A: Brazil’s primary energy source is hydroelectricity, which accounted for 66.4% of the country’s total electricity generation in 2016.


  • Was this Helpful ?
  • YesNo

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *